Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Stepping Aside…

Three years ago the DTP proposal was posted for community review and at EclipseCon in Burlingame, I first met many of the people who would form the core DTP team. For me EclipseCon this past week marked the completion of that circle, as I have decided to leave Sybase and step aside as the DTP PMC chair. My new position, starting the week of April 7, will be with the JBoss division of Red Hat. I will remain involved in DTP and the wider Eclipse community, working with DTP to help in the transition, and to assist in completing the DTP 1.6 (Ganymede) release.


Last week at EclipseCon there was a lot of talk about diversity in projects. Diversity is more than simply the number of committers or the number of organizations represented. Real diversity is about redundancy in project operations, so staffing changes can more easily be absorbed. All successful projects rely on having the right people, but no successful project should depend on a specific person. I am confident that DTP will succeed after this transition at least as much as it would have under my leadership.

I’d like to thank everyone who supported me and DTP up to this point -- the Eclipse community is really an amazing group of people to work with – and I look forward to continued collaboration in my new role.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for getting DTP off the ground! Best of luck at Red Hat. I hope we see you back into Eclipse soon ;-)

2:25 PM

 
Blogger Chris Aniszczyk (zx) said...

Congrats on the new move!

Do you get to move :)?

2:41 PM

 
Blogger John Graham said...

@zx

Thanks!

There's a local office, so no move for me.

5:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck at Red Hat. I hope we see you next year at EclipseCon, starting a new top level project.

8:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home